Four dogs got sick after walking on Mt. Philo in Charlotte over the past two weeks, one of them twice. Their symptoms were the same, the timeline of their illnesses were the same, and the results of lab tests for two of the dogs were the same: marijuana toxicity, most likely acquired through feces eaten by the dogs.
Exactly how this occurred is unknown, but theories abound.
On any given morning, dozens of visitors and their dogs hike or walk in Mt. Philo State Park, one of the the busiest state parks in Vermont. It’s a popular destination for local walkers who want to efficiently manage time with friends with exercise for themselves and their dogs.
The first incident occurred on Monday, April 2. Susan Nostrand and her dog, Sophie, Renny Manning and her dog, Trooper, and Holly Palmer and her dog, Maisie, all walked up the mountain road. Within an hour or so of returning home, all three dogs started exhibiting strange behavior.
Trooper, an energetic Gryphon who charges around his yard all day chasing