During the first week of April, Charlotte dog owner Elisabeth Robert posted flyers at Mount Philo State Park warning fellow hikers about an unusual trail hazard. The flyers read:
WARNING: Multiple dogs hospitalized after walking Mt. Philo. Tested positive for MARIJUANA POISONING after eating human feces or other dropping of THC compound.
Subsequent media reports, in the Burlington Free Press and elsewhere, revealed that at least four sick dogs had been treated at the Animal Hospital of Hinesburg and Ark Veterinary Hospital in Shelburne after walks on Mount Philo. According to their veterinarians, all the dogs showed signs of, and later tested positive for, poisoning from THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, the psychoactive compound in cannabis.
Getting dogs wacked on weed may seem like harmless stoner fun, but it’s no laughing matter. While humans may enjoy its effects, cannabis is toxic and potentially fatal to dogs, especially if they consume too much of it. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, which operates the nationwide Animal Poison Control Center, handled 199,000 potential pet poisonings